Email Marketing and Management: An Holistic Approach
Email is an abbreviation for Electric Mail. It enhances quicker, faster and safer means of message delivery from one person to another unlike the use of postal service (letter writing). Smart business owners today have discovered the potential of this platform to promote their businesses and this is changing the face of online business promotion.
Email marketing allows you to send email messages promoting your business to as much as possible people you have on your contact list.
Aside from visiting social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc, the other place people visit is their email, especially for important information like;
- Interview Invitation
- Business Proposal
- Admission Letter
- And other official information
People glance through their social media feeds (or posts) but concentrate on messages sent to their email; this fact makes email marketing an effective tool for promoting your products ― no other platform will offer the same attention customers will give to your products as email marketing does.
It has been discovered that at least 91% of consumers check their email on a daily basis and marketers have reported that consumers spend close to 138% more on products promoted via email marketing. Considering this, it is no surprise that 83% of marketers are now leveraging on email campaigns.
A digital census has also revealed that more than half of the world population (3.8 billion people) are using email and this number has been predicted to rise to about 4.2 billion in 2020.
However, there are two types of email service providers;
Private email service providers are self-hosted emails such as firstname.lastname@example.org. They are hosted on your website server and they are the best for email marketing.
Commercial email service providers include;
- Outlook (formerly Hotmail)
- Zoho Mail
- Yahoo Mail
- Fast Mail
- Hush Mail
Although email accounts created with most commercial email service providers are reported to be safer ― it looks less professional.
Why Email Marketing?
These question pops up most of the time when I discuss email marketing with clients. It is true there are other digital marketing medium, but some of the advantages Email Marketing has over them include:
- Cheap and Easy Budget: Email marketing has the highest return on investment (ROI) of all types of digital marketing. You can decide to build your email list and use such for your campaign at no cost.
- High Conversion Rate: Customers buy more via email marketing
- Time-Saving: It allows automatic response. Marketers can input specific messages when they are offline to reply customers. Other digital marketing channels like social media marketing are now employing this brilliant technique thou.
- Personalization: Campaign can be sent to customers with their real name automatically inserted into the mail. You must have received a mail which started by addressing you, something like;
We are happy you purchased our Marketing Tricks For Managers ebook.
In our new release, the Step By Step Guide To Retaining Your Customers Loyalty ebook highlights the following problems faced by top managers….
- Allows Testing: It is easy to test and optimize your campaign. Email marketing allows marketers to evaluate their various campaign design. You can create two different campaigns in email marketing and see which is generating more response.
- Targeted Audiences: It is possible to segment your contact list based on profession, demography, gender and age. This allows you to be able to send your emails to a specific group of people you know will be interested in the message.
These are some of the numerous benefits of email marketing. To answer the question in your mind, let us move on to,
How to Start Your First Email Marketing
It is more advisable to use an email account with your website name attached such as email@example.com. It builds more credibility, but in case you do not have a website or such email, that does not deter you from taking advantage of this platform.
But before you start, always answer these questions;
- What did you want to promote?
- What action did you want your customers/prospects to take?
- Who are your target?
- Why did you think they need the information?
- How much are you ready to spend on the campaign?
When you have answered all of the above questions, you can then start your email marketing. I believe you already have an email address, if no, check your website package if free email account(s) is included. In case it is not, you can open with any of the email service providers listed above (scroll up to see).
Managing Your Email Marketing
Now that you are ready to start your email marketing process to exponentially increase your sales volume, let us discuss how to effectively use this platform and avoid mistakes most novice commit.
For any campaign, you need to have a lot of contacts (if possible). The more prospects, the higher your chances of landing more sales. But some marketers/business owners in their desperation commit some fatal mistakes which kills their campaign and degrades the brand/company’s reputation.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Never Buy an Email List
There are some companies claiming they have chunks of email contacts to sell to marketers who are willing to take advantage of email marketing. Their intention is good, but the question is, are people on their list potential customers you can convince? If not, then do not waste your time and money.
- Not Adding Unsubscribe Option
Your email template (design) must include options people can easily click to opt-out from your list, so as not to receive any mail from you again. Why do you need this?
- It is in compliance with the law.
- When users do not see this option, they may start marking your email as a spam. It is a matter of time before all emails you sent henceforth land in your contacts’ spam box.
- Sending Mails Anytime
Before starting any campaign, you need to research each of your targeted audience location and their local time. People tend to open their emails most on days like Monday and early in the morning. Understanding this will help to target when your mail will have a high number of views.
- Not Having Subscription Form
The cheapest and most credible way of getting customers email contact is including a newsletter sign up form on your website for customers who will like to always receive update from you.
There is a professional secret to avoid all of the listed mistakes above and also improve your email marketing effectiveness. The secret is using email marketing tools;
Email Marketing Tools
Due to the emergence of this digital marketing channel and its productivity, there are now software tools that makes email marketing easier, faster, and more effective. They have a ready-made template you can slightly edit to start marketing like a professional. Some of the popular tools are;
- Campaign Monitor
- Get Response
Getting the most out of email marketing takes both dedication and being analytical. That is why it is very important to always use the service of a digital marketer with experience in email marketing to reduce your cost and also optimize your result.
Stay tuned for part 2 when we will be taking you through how to successfully use the email marketing tools like a pro.